Each October, AES Ohio, a subsidiary of The AES Corporation (NYSE: AES), recognizes National Energy Awareness Month to raise the importance of sustainability, promote energy efficiency tips for customers and acknowledge the critical role energy plays in our daily lives.
Energy efficiency means using less energy to do the same job — lowering energy bills and reducing emissions. Customers have an opportunity to manage and improve their energy use and address energy waste with a few simple steps:
- Install a programmable or Wi-Fi enabled thermostat. Proper use can save you about $180 per year in energy costs.
- Install smart power strips. Most electronics draw power when not in use. This “vampire load” adds up to cost the average home up to $200 a year. Installing smart power strips can reduce vampire loads and save money.
- Weatherize your home. One of the most cost-effective energy-saving measures is to seal air leaks in the home. Save 5-15% of home heating and cooling by adding caulk or weather stripping to seal air leaks around leaky doors and windows.
- Take advantage of the heat from the sun. Open window coverings to allow sunlight to naturally heat your home.
- Adjust the temperature. Set your thermostat to as low as comfortably possible. When you are asleep or out of the house turn your thermostat back 8°-10° for eight hours to save energy and manage costs.
- Improve the efficiency of your HVAC system by replacing air filters, tuning it up, or upgrading. A new system can save you $150 or more per year in energy costs.
- Purchase LED bulbs which use up to 90% less energy than incandescent bulbs and last up to 25 times longer. The average home uses 40 bulbs. These tips are useful during Energy Awareness Month, and every month of the year.
For more ways to save energy and money visit aes-ohio.com/energy-savings-tips.
About AES Ohio
AES Ohio is the principal subsidiary of DPL Inc. (DPL), a regional energy provider and an AES company. AES Ohio, a regulated electric utility, provides service to over 527,000 customers in West Central Ohio. During its long history, AES Ohio has served its customers with the lowest rates in Ohio among investor-owned utilities. Connect with AES Ohio on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn. Learn more about how AES Ohio is accelerating the future of energy, visit aes-ohio.com.