How to compare a supplier’s price to AES Ohio’s price.
AES Ohio’s standard offer rate
If you do not want to choose a supplier, you will automatically be enrolled on AES Ohio’s standard offer rate. This is our default supply rate, which is determined by a competitive auction that reflects market prices for providing generation service.
When comparing electric generation suppliers, you need to know the annual price-to-compare and the average annual cost (cents per kilowatt hour or kWh for short) that a supplier must beat (compared to AES Ohio's standard offer rate) in order for you to save money. In other words, the annual price-to-compare is the amount that you no longer have to pay to AES Ohio when you choose an alternate electric generation supplier.
For example: If the annual charges that you avoid paying to AES Ohio when you choose an alternate generation supplier are $500, the supplier’s annual charges must be less than $500 in order for you to save money on your electric bill.
- If you are a residential customer, you will find your price-to-compare in the bill message on your monthly AES Ohio bill.
- If you are comparing electric generation suppliers on price, paying a lower price in cents per kWh should result in a lower electric bill. However, suppliers may charge other fees and all costs should be considered before choosing a supplier. Be sure to ask a potential supplier about any fees that may affect your overall cost.
- In order to compare the estimated annual costs you would pay an alternate electric generation supplier, determine your annual usage for the last 12 months (shown on your AES Ohio bill or usage history MyAES Ohio) and multiply this by the supplier’s price (cents/kWh).
- If you are a business customer, you can use the price-to-compare calculator available below. The price-to-compare also converts this amount into an average rate or cents/kWh amount.
You'll need the following
- Rate number
- Billing demand (kW)
- Billed kVar (if applicable)
- Kilowatt-hour usage (kWh)
Here's where you can find this information on your bill:
* To get a more accurate price-to-compare, it is suggested that you input information for the most recent 12 months instead of just 1 month to take into account seasonal variations.
Questions? We're here to help!
Or, business customers call 800-253-5801
Automated system available 24/7
Staff available 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM Mon - Fri