Together, we can work to keep your power on and maintain a safe clearance around our equipment.
Planting landscaping or building decks, fences or other structures too close to AES Ohio equipment may cause a safety hazard. AES Ohio must be able to read, remove, install and test our meters as well as maintain and replace electrical equipment. In an emergency, such as a fire, AES Ohio may have to remove the meter.
Electrical meter clearance
- Customers must ensure the meter is easily accessible, a minimum of 36 inches in front and six inches to the top and sides.
Transformers, poles and other equipment
- If you have a AES Ohio transformer or other equipment on your property, AES Ohio must have easy access to ensure reliable and safe service for our customers.
- Keep walkways and work areas clear. AES Ohio requires a minimum 10 feet, three feet to the sides and rear and 25 feet above the piece of equipment. This allows our crews to safely work on the equipment.
- All vegetation, including low plants like flowers and bushes, must be kept a minimum of 10 feet away from any pole. Trees should be planted at least 25 feet away from overhead lines, depending on the type. Learn more about planting the right tree in the right place.
- Plants, fences, decks or other structures within the service area zone may have to be removed if crews need access to our equipment. AES Ohio is not liable for damage to plants or other property prohibiting safe access to our equipment.
Don’t tamper with AES Ohio equipment
- Stealing or tampering with any type of AES Ohio electrical equipment or service can be fatal. Copper theft is a serious crime and can mean up to three years in jail and a $7,500 fine.
- Adhere to warning signs on our equipment and around our substations. Never try to enter a substation property.
- Report suspicious activity. If you see suspicious activity at a substation or suspect the theft of electrical equipment or service, please contact local law enforcement and AES Ohio. Send us an email or call 800-433-8500.